HTCC Board Meeting Minutes
November 8, 2008
Attendees: Dev Manhas, Nitya Niranjan, Hema Marreddy, Hima Bollineni, Vishwa Gaddamanugu, G. Krishnan, , Virinder Duggal, Pramod Gupta, Arun Sharma, Shyam Oberoi, Sunil Shah, Suri Raman
Excused Absentees: Umesh Amin, Virender Sodhi
Unexcused Absentees: Lakshmi Shankar, Sunil Ummat,
- Call the meeting to order
- Minutes of the Sep. meeting
- Minutes of Oct. meeting
- EC Committee Report
- Fund Raising Committee Report
- Planning Committee Report
- Discuss and Vote on whether we can vote on new business.
- New business
- Multiple office bearers as well as other position(s) in the Board as well as EC held by the same person.
- Publish all the established committees (Board as well as EC) so that every one knows.
- New fund raising proposal.
1. Meeting started with a prayer.
2. Meeting was called to order at 9:15 AM.
3. Minutes of the Sep. meeting: Suri Raman made a motion to approve the minutes. Pramod seconded it. The motion was adopted.
4. Minutes of Oct. meeting: Dev Manhas made a motion to approve the minutes with the following changes. Suri Raman seconded it. The minutes were approved with changes.
4. Vishwa raised the issue that the board circumvented processes by not informing some members of the board about buying the property in item 1. Vishwa will bring to surface other issues where processes have been circumvented.
9. Financial team was formed to streamline the HTCC finances. The plan must have principal preservation clause. The team members are:
ii. Dev Manhas
iii. Suri Raman
5. EC Committee Report – Virinder reported that:
A. The North Indian priest (Mr. Jha) to whom the offer has been made has an appointment with the US consulate on Nov. 21, 2008.
B. The South Indian (Telugu) priest (Mr. Upendra) who has been offered the job is not responding. Communication with him is difficult because of his lack of English speaking skill. Vishwa and Virinder will together call him and find about his plans.
C. Priest Lakshmi Naraynan has applied for vacation from Jan.11, 2009 to Feb. 16, 2009. Dev Manhas stated that a priest from another temple is available on temporary basis. Virinder will get the details from Dev Manhas.
D. Percentage of fee for outside poojas to the priest(s) and Dakshina amount to be suggested need to be reviewed. General consensus was to have a special Board meeting to discuss priest(s) compensation. The meeting has been scheduled for Sunday, Nov.23rd. 2008 at 9 AM in the temple.
E. Diwali celebration was a great success. Some lessons were learnt for improvements in the future.
F. Yoga classes are conducted every Sunday from 8.00 AM to 9 AM.
G. Bids have been received for interior painting. These vary from $8,500 to $23,000. General consensus was that painting should be done by volunteers. Vishwa has offered to lead this effort. He will organize this task and get it executed by Dec.31, 2008.
H. Virinder made a motion to hire a part time manager with flexible schedule to fill in when the volunteers and /or manager is not available as well as to help the manager whenever needed. Hima seconded the motion. The motion was adopted. Virinder will prepare a note detailing the need and justification for the part time manager for the purpose of record.
I. New computer has been installed and is in the process of being made functional.
6. Fund raising committee report: The Manjunath Brothers concert was a break even event. The Bhairav Se Bhairavi Concert resulted in a net gain of $ 10132. Hema has a target of raising $20,000 from Lakshmi coins which is the present campaign. Hema has a plan to raise $40,000 from sponsorship of Venkateshwara Padukas. She requested a budget of $2,500 for the effort. Nitya made a motion for approval of $2,500 for the Paduka campaign. Arun seconded it. The motion was adopted. All Board members appreciated the fund raising efforts of Hema.
7. Planning Committee Report: Dr. Manhas presented the deities' plan suggested by the Planning Committee to the Sthapaty as well as the revised plan recommended by Sthapati. There were detailed discussions. General consensus was that the Planning Committee should meet again and make a presentation in the special Board meeting scheduled for Nov. 23rd.
Treasurer's Report: Hima provided the following numbers as balances:
US Bank: $72,462.10
MSDW Bank: $561,982.23
Van Guard: $1,160,000.00 (approx).
8. Discuss and Vote on whether we can vote on new business: Discussions were deferred.
9. New business
A. Multiple office bearers as well as other position(s) in the Board as well as EC held by the same person.
B. Publish all the established committees (Board as well as EC) so that every one knows.
C. New fund raising proposal.
Discussions were deferred.
10. The meeting ended with a prayer
11. The meeting adjourned at 11.45 AM.
Secretary HTCC Board of Trustees
Nov. 9, 2008